Breakthrough San Juan Capistrano has a College Mentoring Program for our high school juniors and seniors. Mentors will be paired with one of our juniors to assist them in their college application process through their senior year.
By assisting with the college application process, mentors will contribute to our mission of putting our students on the trajectory of a successful college path!
Mentors will provide support for students in a number of different ways, including:
- Personal statement writing
- Researching colleges and creating a college list
- Applying to colleges
- Applying to scholarships
- Financial Aid applications & Scholarship applications
Mentors are expected to:
- Attend mandatory training and each monthly College Mentor Program meeting.
- Approach their role with commitment, responsibility and compassion.
- Demonstrate understanding of and sensitivity to intersections of identity (such as educational, economic, cultural and racial backgrounds, gender, and sexual orientation).
- Possess a strong desire to contribute to educational equity.
- Maintain flexibility and a willingness to learn and grow.
If you are interested in serving as a college mentor, please fill out this 2021-2022 College Mentor Application:
Also, please join our email list where we will send out information regarding the next College Mentor Program application cycle. The application for college mentors closes April 12th, 2021.
For additional information regarding the College Mentor Program, please contact Sam Geary at firstname.lastname@example.org or (949)-661-0108 ext. 1350.