Breakthrough San Juan Capistrano has a virtual College Mentoring Program for our high school seniors. Mentors will be paired with one of our students to assist them in their college application process throughout their senior year.
By assisting with the college application process, mentors will contribute to our mission of putting our students on the trajectory of a successful college path!
Mentors will provide support for students in a number of different ways, including:
- Personal statement writing
- Researching colleges and creating a college list
- Applying to colleges
- Applying for financial aid
- Applying to scholarships
- Financial Aid applications & Scholarship applications
Mentors are expected to:
- Attend mandatory trainings and each monthly College Mentor Program meeting (held virtually via Zoom)
- Be available to support their mentees through frequent individual check-ins
- Approach their role with commitment, responsibility and compassion.
- Demonstrate understanding of and sensitivity to intersections of identity (such as educational, economic, cultural and racial backgrounds, gender, and sexual orientation).
- Possess a strong desire to contribute to educational equity.
- Maintain flexibility and a willingness to learn and grow.
If you are interested in serving as a college mentor, please fill out this 2022-2023 College Mentor Application:
The application for college mentors closes April 1st, 2022.
For additional information regarding the College Mentor Program, please contact Sam Geary at email@example.com or (949)-661-0108 ext. 1350.