COMMITTED TO SUCCESS
Breakthrough students are academically-motivated middle and high school students who are committed to success in a four-year college and demonstrate need for the program.
Breakthrough SJC students attend Marco Forster Middle School, Capistrano Valley High School, San Juan Hills High School, Dana Hills High School, JSerra Catholic High School, or St. Margaret’s Episcopal School. The program strives to serve students that demonstrate a need for Breakthrough in at least two of the five following ways:
- The student will be a first generation student in their family to attend a four-year college in the United States.
- The student’s family income qualifies him or her for free or reduced price lunch.
- English is not the primary language spoken in the student’s household.
- The student lives in a single-parent household.
- The student identifies as a student of color.
Breakthrough SJC students
- 91 percent will be the first in their families to graduate from college.
- 89 percent will be the first in their families to graduate from college.
- 84 percent do not have English as the primary language spoken at home.
- 94 percent are students of color.