Congratulations to Breakthrough senior Sarah Arce for earning the Boys & Girls Clubs of Capistrano Valley Youth of the Year Award! Sarah joined the Boys & Girls Club ten years ago as a second grader. At that time, her mother had to work late into the evening, so being a member of the Boys & Girls Club was a safe way to spend her time after school.
Applying for the Youth of the Year Award was a rigorous process. Each applicant had to write three essays, submit school transcripts and a resume, be interviewed, and give a speech. Sarah was nervous about the process because “the other Club members were so great and had great stories.” Sarah said, “I was shaking when the winner was announced, and I went up to the Program Director to give her a big hug before accepting the award.” We are so proud of Sarah and all of her accomplishments, and we know she has an incredible future ahead of her.
Fun facts about Sarah:
- She has been a Breakthrough student for six years.
- Sarah has taken leadership with Breakthrough as a summer Junior Teacher and as a school-year GLOW Mentor.
- She is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and Edge at the Mission Basilica San Juan Capistrano.
- Sarah applied to numerous colleges including Humboldt State University, St. Edwards University, University of San Francisco, San Francisco State University, Beloit College, and University of California, Berkeley.
- Her future goals are to major in Accounting and one day own a fashion or cosmetology line.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Capistrano Valley is a respected partner of our program. We appreciate the opportunities they provide our students by lending their facility for tutoring and supporting other events there throughout the year. Thank you Boys & Girls Club, and well done Sarah!