Breakthrough San Juan Capistrano has a College Mentoring Program for our high school juniors and seniors. Mentors will be paired with one of our juniors to assist in their college application process through their senior year. By assisting with the college application process, mentors will contribute to our mission of creating college access for our students, and supporting them to and through college.
Mentors will provide support for students in a number of different ways, including:
- Personal statement writing
- Researching colleges and creating a college list
- Applying to colleges
- Applying to scholarships
Benefits of mentoring Breakthrough students:
- Mentors guide highly motivated students to achieve their ultimate goal of attending a four-year college or university
- Mentors use their knowledge and expertise to set up a path for underrepresented students to achieve lasting academic and personal success
- Mentors build relationships with students in the San Juan Capistrano community that foster growth both as a student and as an individual
- Mentors receive training and gain hands-on experience in college counseling
If you are interested in serving as a college mentor, the application for our 2020-2021 College Mentor Program cycle is now open! The application can be found at this link: http://bit.ly/20202021mentorapp
View our College Mentor Flyer here.
College Mentor Application Timeline:
Application Opens: late January, 2020
Application Closes: March 1st, 2020
Interviews of selected applicants: March 1st- early April
Applicant Decisions Released: Early April
New Mentor Training: Thursday, 4/23, from 4-6:30PM
First meeting with students: May, 2020
For additional information regarding the College Mentor Program, please contact Sam Geary at email@example.com or (949) 661-0108 ext. 1350.